Summer is winding down and change is in the air as Mother Nature prepares for Fall. The change of seasons from Summer to Fall often goes quietly unnoticed until we start to feel that distinct drop in temperature and see the vibrant colors of fall appear in the leaves on the trees. It’s all the many little changes that had to happen that we don’t see.
Nature goes through this change with such grace and ease, I wonder why change is often so hard for us.
What are our obstacles to change even
when the desire is there?
Health behavior change studies have revealed 5 reasons why most people are not successful in achieving their health goals.
- Lack of personal responsibility for one’s own care
- Failure to identify their own motivation for change
- Lack of specific, clear plan on how to achieve their goals
- They try to change too much at once and become overwhelmed, get discouraged and quit
- Lack of a collaborative partnership with their doctor
I am proud to say that my training in Naturopathic medicine & philosophy has equipped me to provide 4 out of the 5 things people need for successful change. As much as I might like to, I can’t force people to take personal responsibility for their care. I can, however, help them find their motivation, provide them with a clear plan, make sure the goals are achievable and be a true partner along their journey towards health.
For more about how to make lifestyle changes refer to my post Making Lifestyle Changes